Cytopathology is a diagnostic technique in which cells from almost any body site are examined microscopically for the diagnosis of cancer, precancerous conditions, benign tumors and some infectious conditions. Cells are obtained during various procedures, such as cystoscopy or bronchoscopy and via fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNA biopsy).
MetroPath’s laboratory offers a full menu of cytopathology services for both gynecologic and non-gynecologic needs as follows:
Our FDA-approved cervical cancer screening platforms include ThinPrep® and SurePath™ Pap testing as well as molecular testing for high risk human papillomavirus (HPV). An advanced automated computer system (the Hologic ThinPrep Imaging System) is utilized for Pap test screening to ensure high quality and timely results. Gynecologic specimens obtained in ThinPrep® and SurePath™ media are tested in the Molecular Laboratory for infectious agents such as HPV, Chlamydia trachomatis, and Neisseria gonorrhoeae. MetroPath’s ability to run multiple tests on one specimen can prevent the need for additional procedures.
MetroPath’s non-gynecologic cytopathology offerings include interpretation of FNA biopsies and exfoliative samples from virtually all body sites. On-site adequacy assessment for FNA biopsies can be coordinated with radiologists and other physicians, which significantly reduces the chances for the need to repeat the biopsy.
- Board Certified Cytopathologists
- Custom reports can include photomicrographs
- Multiple reporting options, including online access, autofax, hard copy, client printer, or through Electronic Health Record (EHR) interface
- Timely communication of unexpected or clinically significant findings to providers
- Thyroid FNA biopsy interpretation with customized thyroid reports
- Interpretation of FNA biopsy and exfoliative cytologic specimens from most body sites (including breast, urine, lymph node, salivary gland, skin, and soft tissue)
- Anal Pap testing
- Consultations and second opinions
- Scheduled, on-site adequacy assessment of Fine Needle Aspirations (to schedule, please call 303-592-7284)
- 48-hour average turnaround time for reporting of Pap test results
- Pap tests with HPV co-testing
- HPV, Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and Trichomonas vaginalis ( ThinPrep® only) testing from ThinPrep® and SurePath™ vials
- Concise reports with clearly identified abnormal results
- Statistical summaries provided annually
If you have any questions about MetroPath’s Cytology services, please feel free to contact us.
Director of Cytopathology – Robert Haas, M.D.